An appearance can only exist if there is a mind that beholds it. The ‘beholding’ of that appearance is nothing other than experience; that is what actually takes place. All the elements are vividly distinguished as long as the mind fixates on them. Yet they are nothing but a mere presence, an appearance. When the mind doesn’t apprehend, hold, or fixate on what is experienced, ‘reality’ loses its solid, obstructing quality.
Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
from the book As It Is, Vol. 1
translated by Erik Pema Kunsang
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book As It Is, Vol. 1:
- Motivation to achieve enlightenment
- It is only your mind that experiences
- Satisfying people on all different levels
- Space and awareness
- No matter what you do
- Within space
- It is only your mind which experiences
- Self-existing wakefulness
- Empty cognizance
- The single sphere of dharmakaya