The happiness we seek is our birthright. To discover it we need to be more gentle with ourselves, more compassionate toward ourselves and our universe. The happiness we seek cannot be found through grasping, trying to hold on to things. It cannot be found through getting serious and uptight about wanting things to go in the direction we think will bring happiness. We are always taking hold of the wrong end of the stick. The point is that the happiness we seek is already here and it will be found through relaxation and letting go rather than through struggle.
from the book Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Pema Chödron.
Further quotes from the book Start Where You Are:
- You are guaranteed to be burned
- Self-liberate even the antidote
- Moving away from comfort and security
- Bottomless heart
- Communication without agenda
- Compassion along the path
- Underneath there’s something extremely soft
- Teachings 24/7
- Where Do Thoughts Come From
- Learning from everything
- Gloriousness and wretchedness