As in a dream, all the external objects perceived with the five senses are not there, but appear through delusion.
As in a magic show, things are made to appear by a temporary conjunction of causes, circumstances and connections.
As in a visual aberration, things appear to be there, yet there is nothing.
As in a mirage, things appear but are not real.
As in an echo, things can be perceived but there is nothing there, either outside or inside.
As in a city of gandharvas, there is neither a dwelling nor anyone to dwell.
As in a reflection, things appear but have no reality of their own.
As in a city created by magic, there are all sorts of appearances but they are not really there.
from the book Words of My Perfect Teacher
translated by Padmakara Translation Group
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Patrul Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Words of My Perfect Teacher:
- Impermanence is everywhere
- Peerless Teacher, at your feet I bow
- May our minds mingle with the Dharma
- May we realize the natural state
- The result of learning, contemplation, and meditation
- Bright moon
- The Three Defects when listening to the Dharma
- Motivated by ordinary concerns
- Actions arising from anger
- The Six Paramitas
- No Life Guarantee
- Remembering impermanence
- The need to follow a spiritual teacher
- Transforming obstacles into favorable circumstances
- Developing love and compassion in everything you do
- Bodhicitta mind
- Assimilating the teachings properly