It’s not always easy to know what skills a guru has. Some very academic gurus can tell you which page number you should read in which edition of a text, and can remember exact dates. This is impressive if you are a university student, but if you’re following a spiritual path, it may not be what you need. What you need is someone who can actually turn knowledge like that into something useful for your path, someone who can teach you how to learn. A guru must also have the skill to work with your temporary defilements, because even though the defilements are temporary, they have existed since beginningless time, and they will not be easy to eliminate.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Guru devotion and pure perception
- Devotion is supreme
- Why can’t the Guru be perfect?
- Open-minded guru
- Practicing Dharma requires sacrifice
- The very essence of the Spiritual journey
- Sooner or later, you will have to check
- Check how the guru handles criticism
- Cultivating trust in simplicity
- Beginning to subdue and outshine appearance and existence
- Gurus Don’t Fish for Devotion
- The authentic guru lineage is indispensable
- A proper guru-student communication
- Good gurus are on the verge of extinction
- Going beyond Rational and Irrational Devotion
- Humble Gurus
- Peeling of our patches of samsara
- Outer display of guru devotion
- Modern Buddhadharma