It’s not always easy to know what skills a guru has. Some very academic gurus can tell you which page number you should read in which edition of a text, and can remember exact dates. This is impressive if you are a university student, but if you’re following a spiritual path, it may not be what you need. What you need is someone who can actually turn knowledge like that into something useful for your path, someone who can teach you how to learn. A guru must also have the skill to work with your temporary defilements, because even though the defilements are temporary, they have existed since beginningless time, and they will not be easy to eliminate.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Hearing the Dharma
- Examining the Guru
- Controlled by circumstances
- Celebrity Gurus
- Famous unintentionally
- Dharma without devotion
- No one can please everyone
- Experience is like a mist in the morning
- You and only you will decide
- Look beyond titles and hats
- The path is practical
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- The whole purpose of the outer guru
- The quest for a guru
- Your decision is now taking the lead
- Beginning to subdue and outshine appearance and existence
- Devotion is supreme
- Open-minded guru
- Practicing Dharma requires sacrifice