The practice of mindful living should be joyful and pleasant. If you breathe in and out and feel joy and peace, that is Right Diligence. If you suppress yourself, if you suffer during your practice, it probably is not Right Diligence. Examine your practice. See what brings you joy and happiness of a sustained kind.
Thich Nhat Hanh
from the book The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Further quotes from the book The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching:
- Fully alive and fully aware
- Being really there
- Anxiety is the illness of our age
- The Middle Way between existent and nonexistent
- The only condition for happiness
- Truly free
- Allow yourself to be happy now
- Right Speech
- Just be
- Call for help
- Beyond birth and death