The softness in the situation has to come from you rather than someone else adding it in. If someone falls in love with you, it doesn’t help if you aren’t in love with that person. Nothing can be manufactured from the outside. You have to be in a state of softness or openness to the situation; the outside situation can only act as a reminder. Outside situations can only act as landmarks.
from the book Work, Sex, Money: Real Life on the Path of Mindfulness
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chögyam Trungpa.
Further quotes from the book Work, Sex, Money:
- Now is everything
- Ceasing to imprison ourselves
- Accommodating both wrong and right
- Skillful means
- Finding the intrinsic cheerfulness which exists in you
- The creative aspect of everyday difficulties
- Getting into the world
- Finding yourself in the middle of a living situation
- Just do it
- The difference between the enlightened and the confused state of mind
- Work is real
- Fundamental optimism