In order to purify the defilements, the teachings and blessings have to penetrate. The most accessible way for the blessings to penetrate is through hearing, so ordinary people are encouraged to listen to teachings. To this end, a guru who can provide accurate practical information is very important, even if he or she isn’t your root guru or tantric master. So, at least in the beginning, a guru with knowledge of the Dharma who is from a traditional, institutionalized path is a safe bet. Through hearing penetration, you acquire a tool to be penetrated by contemplation. And then gradually you develop the capacity to be penetrated by meditation.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Famous unintentionally
- Dharma without devotion
- Seeing a student’s potential
- No one can please everyone
- Experience is like a mist in the morning
- You and only you will decide
- Advice on selecting a guru
- Look beyond titles and hats
- The path is practical
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- Why can’t the Guru be perfect?
- The whole purpose of the outer guru
- A different interpretation of austerity
- The quest for a guru
- Sooner or later, you will have to check
- Your decision is now taking the lead
- Guru devotion and pure perception
- Devotion is supreme
- Open-minded guru
- Practicing Dharma requires sacrifice