You can train yourself in this way to feel surrounded on all sides by goodness and benefit. Everything and everyone is benefiting you. The whole world becomes your personal benefactor and is part of you. You have not only been benefited in material terms. Those whose ideas you find useful, who brings out the best in you, who challenge you to grow — they are also your personal benefactors and form part of who you are.
Teaching yourself to see and feel in this way will make it much easier for you to feel close to others. It can make a tremendous contribution to your personal happiness and can certainly make you a more positive force in the interdependent world.
from the book Interconnected: Embracing Life in Our Global Society
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 17th Karmapa.
Further quotes from the book Interconnected:
- Thinking about the consequences of our collective actions
- A greater sense of possibility
- Our intimate dependence on the natural environment
- Acting against self-serving impulses
- The opportunity to love
- Knowing more is not a substitute for feeling more
- Time to act
- Outer and inner world
- The interdependence between us and the world
- His Loneliness
- The best way to love oneself
- Interdependent individuals
- Focusing on our inner interdependence
- Our closest and most reliable allies
- Enthusiastically benefiting whomever we come in contact with
- Limitless aspirations
- Inner freedom is key
- Delight in positive thoughts