Compassion practice is daring. It involves learning to relax and allowing ourselves to move gently toward what scares us. The trick to doing this is to stay with emotional distress without tightening into aversion; to let fear soften us rather than harden into resistance. We cultivate bravery through making aspirations. We make the wish that all beings, including ourselves and those we dislike, be free of suffering and the root of suffering.
from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Pema Chödron.
Further quotes from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty:
- Complete acceptance of ourselves as we are
- The healing power of bodhicitta
- Remaining stuck in the repetitious habit of escalating our dissatisfaction
- Recognizing our shared humanity
- Beyond punishment and reward
- Recognizing What’s Going On
- Humor and openness
- Abandon any hope of fruition