Gaining mastery over our destructive propensities, through the exercise of awareness and self-discipline with regard to our body, speech, and mind, frees us from the inner turmoil that naturally arises when our behaviour is at odds with our ideals. In place of this turmoil come confidence, integrity, and dignity – heroic qualities all human beings naturally aspire to.
14th Dalai Lama
from the book Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Further quotes from the book Beyond Religion:
- Spirituality and ethics beyond religion
- Something is seriously lacking
- Basic human values oriented by nature
- Cooperating with one another
- Being wise selfish
- Learning to open our hearts
- The key to human happiness