Most of the time we are trying to make the good things last, or we are thinking about replacing them with something even better in the future, or we are sunk in the past, reminiscing about happier times. Ironically, we never truly appreciated the experience for which we are nostalgic because we were too busy clinging to our hopes and fears at the time.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Shielding ourselves and others from the truth
- Not paranoid but prepared
- Not a buddha yet
- Like monkeys
- Appreciating the whole cycle of impermanence
- The spiritual path is a temporary solution
- Bound by practicality
- Enlightened beings may seem insane
- I don’t give a damn
- What is life?
- The real source of fear is not knowing
- Pride and pity
- Buddhist renunciation
- Change is inevitable
- The cup that holds the teachings
- Like a child at the cinema
- Emotionally not possible
- Enjoying the bliss of ignorance