Being wise selfish means taking a broader view and recognizing that our own long-term individual interest lies in the welfare of everyone. Being wise selfish means being compassionate.
14th Dalai Lama
from the book Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Further quotes from the book Beyond Religion:
- Spirituality and ethics beyond religion
- Something is seriously lacking
- Basic human values oriented by nature
- Cooperating with one another
- Learning to open our hearts
- The key to human happiness
- Confidence, integrity, and dignity