Awareness itself allows us to stand at the river’s edge without getting sucked into the current. We are liberated from the tyranny of the monkey-mind. Thoughts are still there. They may be quiet or turbulent, focused or wild and scattered. But we have stopped identifying with them. We have become the awareness, not the thoughts.
from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity: A Guide to the Foundation Practices of Tibetan Buddhism
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Mingyur Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity:
- You are discovering yourself
- Recognition of subtle shifts in mental behavior
- Befriending the monkey mind
- The real obstacle to resting meditation
- The very first sign of waking up
- The mind of letting go
- Freedom exists within our very own mind
- What creates samsara
- We are born buddhas
- Not a substitute for practice
- Turning toward awakening
- Ordinary sangha