The aim is to be able to feel the extent to which others are extremely important and integral to you and also to gain an emotional awareness that you are never, ever really separate from them. Others are part of you, just as you are part of them. You exist in connection with others. When you see this, you can also see that your happiness and suffering depend upon others. If you think solely in terms of yourself and your own happiness, it simply does not work. There is no happiness without relying upon others.
from the book Interconnected: Embracing Life in Our Global Society
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 17th Karmapa.
Further quotes from the book Interconnected:
- The interdependence between us and the world
- Inner freedom is key
- A Vast and Complex Web of Causality
- Bringing about real change in the world
- The power of our senses
- The air we breathe
- Our intimate dependence on the natural environment
- Touching the core of our equality