Even though that which is usually called “mind” is widely esteemed and much discussed, still it is not understood or it is wrongly understood or it is understood in a one-sided manner only. Since it is not understood correctly, just as it is in itself, there comes into existence inconceivable numbers of philosophical ideas and assertions.
Furthermore, since ordinary individuals do not understand it, they do not recognize their own nature.And so they continue to wander among the six destinies of rebirth within the three worlds, and thus experience suffering. Therefore, not understanding your own mind is a very grievous fault.
quoted in the book The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Padmasambhava.
Further quotes from the book The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying:
- On bodhicitta
- Unstained by any Grasping
- No regret
- Not your business
- Finding the lama in your heart
- No words can describe it
- Natural great peace
- How to overcome dreamy dullness
- Humorously going on doing things
- Source of joy and suffering
- Deeper and deeper
- The equal of all the Buddhas
- Protection 24/7
- Being without any distraction or grasping
- Reaching the state of great equilibrium
- The view
- Over and over again
- Effortless compassion