To follow a Guru, you have to navigate so much. You have to wrestle with your instincts, go against your character and habits. You should realize that navigation through struggle is the very essence of the Spiritual journey: crossing mountains, valleys, rivers, and deserts in search of the answer. This is the Voyage that you have chosen to take. And the Guru will test if a student is ready for the profound teachings by assigning various difficult tasks.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Check how the guru handles criticism
- Cultivating trust in simplicity
- Gurus Don’t Fish for Devotion
- The authentic guru lineage is indispensable
- A proper guru-student communication
- Going beyond Rational and Irrational Devotion
- Humble Gurus
- Peeling of our patches of samsara
- Modern Buddhadharma
- Never opt for the easy way out
- Hearing the Dharma
- Controlled by circumstances
- Celebrity Gurus
- Dharma without devotion
- No one can please everyone
- You and only you will decide
- Look beyond titles and hats
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- The whole purpose of the outer guru