If we try to practice meditation without the foundation of goodwill to ourselves and others, it is like trying to row across a river without first untying the boat; our efforts, no matter how strenuous, will not bear fruit. We need to practice and refine our ability to live honestly and with integrity.
from the book Insight Meditation: The Practice of Freedom
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Joseph Goldstein.
Further quotes from the book Insight Meditation:
- Purpose of practice
- The meditative journey
- Awareness of thoughts
- Seeing impermanence deeply
- Becoming aware of suffering
- Freedom Lies in the Wisdom to Choose
- The wonderful paradox about the truth of suffering
- Just sitting and watching
- Undistracted awareness
- Like a cloud passing through the sky
- Being with it fully