All the world’s major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance, and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is that grounding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.
14th Dalai Lama
from the book Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Further quotes from the book Beyond Religion:
- Basic human values oriented by nature
- Something is seriously lacking
- Cooperating with one another
- Being wise selfish
- Learning to open our hearts
- The key to human happiness
- Confidence, integrity, and dignity