Personal relationships are the most volatile and perfect examples of assembled phenomena and impermanence. Some couples believe that they can manage their relationship ‘until death do us part’ by reading books or consulting with a relationship doctor. Knowing that men are from Mars and women are from Venus provides the key to only a few obvious causes and conditions of disharmony, however. To a certain extent these small understandings may help create temporary peace, but they don’t address the many hidden factors that are part of the relationship’s assembly. If we could see the unseen, then maybe we could enjoy the perfect relationship – or maybe we would never start one in the first place.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Today is the death of yesterday
- Clinging to our hopes and fears
- Primordial purity
- Where will they scatter my ashes
- A simple, scientific fact
- Being a Buddhist
- Our true nature is like a wineglass
- What is in the mind of a Buddhist
- Pride and pity
- Living fully
- Your own ignorance betrays you
- Shielding ourselves and others from the truth
- Not a buddha yet
- Like monkeys
- Appreciating the whole cycle of impermanence
- The spiritual path is a temporary solution
- Enlightened beings may seem insane
- I don’t give a damn
- What is life?