Awareness is the natural, innate, knowing quality of mind that is with us all the time. We cannot function without awareness; we would have no experience of anything without awareness. However, we do not always recognize it. In fact, most of the time we don’t. Meditation teaches us to recognize the awareness that we already have.
from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity: A Guide to the Foundation Practices of Tibetan Buddhism
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Mingyur Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity:
- Befriending the monkey mind
- The real obstacle to resting meditation
- Becoming the awareness
- The very first sign of waking up
- The mind of letting go
- Freedom exists within our very own mind
- What creates samsara
- We are born buddhas
- Not a substitute for practice
- You are discovering yourself
- Turning toward awakening
- Ordinary sangha