It is the supreme elixir
That overcomes the sovereignty of death.
It is the inexhaustible treasure
That eliminates poverty in the world.
It is the supreme medicine
That quells the world’s disease.
It is the tree that shelters all beings
Wandering and tired on the path of conditioned existence.
It is the universal bridge
That leads to freedom from unhappy states of birth.
It is the dawning moon of the mind
That dispels the torment of disturbing conceptions.
It is the great sun that finally removes
The misty ignorance of the world.
quoted in the book The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Shantideva.
Further quotes from the book The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying:
- Unstained by any Grasping
- No regret
- Not your business
- Finding the lama in your heart
- No words can describe it
- Very grievous fault of not understanding your own mind
- Natural great peace
- How to overcome dreamy dullness
- Humorously going on doing things
- Source of joy and suffering
- Deeper and deeper
- The equal of all the Buddhas
- Protection 24/7
- Being without any distraction or grasping
- Reaching the state of great equilibrium
- The view
- Over and over again
- Effortless compassion