We establish some stability and focus in our mind and see which elements in it lead to greater peace, which to greater suffering. All of it — both the peace and the suffering — happens lawfully. Freedom lies in the wisdom to choose.
from the book Insight Meditation: The Practice of Freedom
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Joseph Goldstein.
Further quotes from the book Insight Meditation:
- Purpose of practice
- The meditative journey
- Awareness of thoughts
- The foundation of goodwill
- Seeing impermanence deeply
- Becoming aware of suffering
- The wonderful paradox about the truth of suffering
- Just sitting and watching
- Undistracted awareness
- Like a cloud passing through the sky
- Being with it fully