To find out whether or not you are controlled by circumstances and situations, there are myriad things you can do, such as skip lunch. If you are a man, wear a bra and walk around in public. If you are a woman, go to a fancy party in your bedroom slippers. If you are married, see if you can tolerate someone pinching your spouse’s bottom. See if you are swayed by praise, criticism, being ignored, or being showered with attention. If you get agitated, embarrassed, or infuriated, then more than likely you are still under the spell of the conditions of habit and culture. You are still a victim of causes and conditions.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Cultivating trust in simplicity
- Gurus Don’t Fish for Devotion
- A proper guru-student communication
- Going beyond Rational and Irrational Devotion
- Peeling of our patches of samsara
- Modern Buddhadharma
- Never opt for the easy way out
- Hearing the Dharma
- Dharma without devotion
- You and only you will decide
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- The quest for a guru
- Devotion is supreme
- The very essence of the Spiritual journey