To find out whether or not you are controlled by circumstances and situations, there are myriad things you can do, such as skip lunch. If you are a man, wear a bra and walk around in public. If you are a woman, go to a fancy party in your bedroom slippers. If you are married, see if you can tolerate someone pinching your spouse’s bottom. See if you are swayed by praise, criticism, being ignored, or being showered with attention. If you get agitated, embarrassed, or infuriated, then more than likely you are still under the spell of the conditions of habit and culture. You are still a victim of causes and conditions.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Cultivating trust in simplicity
- A proper guru-student communication
- Peeling of our patches of samsara
- Never opt for the easy way out
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- The quest for a guru
- Devotion is supreme
- The very essence of the Spiritual journey
- Gurus Don’t Fish for Devotion
- Modern Buddhadharma