Awareness itself allows us to stand at the river’s edge without getting sucked into the current. We are liberated from the tyranny of the monkey-mind. Thoughts are still there. They may be quiet or turbulent, focused or wild and scattered. But we have stopped identifying with them. We have become the awareness, not the thoughts.
from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity: A Guide to the Foundation Practices of Tibetan Buddhism
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Mingyur Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Turning Confusion into Clarity:
- The very first sign of waking up
- The mind of letting go
- What creates samsara
- Not a substitute for practice
- You are discovering yourself
- Befriending the monkey mind
- The real obstacle to resting meditation
- Turning toward awakening
- Ordinary sangha