We are all, by nature, clearly oriented toward the basic human values of love and compassion. We all prefer the love of others to their hatred. We all prefer others generosity to meanness. And who is there among us who does not prefer tolerance, respect and forgiveness of our failings to bigotry, disrespect, and resentment?
14th Dalai Lama
from the book Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Further quotes from the book Beyond Religion:
- Spirituality and ethics beyond religion
- Something is seriously lacking
- Cooperating with one another
- Being wise selfish
- Learning to open our hearts
- The key to human happiness
- Confidence, integrity, and dignity