The clothing and alms needed to keep you alive are all you need.
You might dine on the finest meal of delicious meat and alcohol,
But it all turns into something impure the very next morning,
And there is nothing more to it all than that.
So be content with life-sustaining provisions and simple clothes,
And be a loser when it comes to food, clothing and conversation.
from the book Compassionate Action
translated by Adam Pearcey
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chatral Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Compassionate Action:
- Gaining the riches of a Dharma practitioner
- The best form of austerity
- Taking advantage of our human existence
- A disciplined mind
- Not enjoying meat or alcohol
- Your own true enemies
- View and conduct
- Use it well
- But when you die
- Act accordingly
- Relying on the instructions of your own qualified teacher
- Failing to let go of ordinary concerns
- Three kinds of dharma practitioners
- The path of nonviolence
- Our responsibility